Modular Audio held its second LPAD on 15 May 2010 (Saturday), a 1-day special event (with very minimal commercial break) to share the joy of vinyl playing with fellow vinyl old-hand, vinyl rookie and wanna-be
Unlike the first LPAD where we played mostly audiophile and highly pricey LP, this time, the LP playlist was more interesting. We compared digital recording of the same title (CD vs. digital LP); some good sounding local pressings that you should not dismiss; two excellent sounding thin LP proving that LP weight is not part of the good sound equation plus plenty of good classical music.
Thank you all for coming and we hope you enjoyed our program!
The equipment took a back seat at LPAD as the star of the show were the LP software. Nevertheless, Ocellia’s speakers, cables and electronics (from France) provided the good sound.
Two Origin Live turntables were used on the show with the Aurora Mk2 with Silver tonarm (left) actually belonging to a customer who was due to take it home after the first session.
We are all ears…
LPAD 2010 Playlist
- Commitments OST (Germany, MCA), “Mustang Sally”
- The Royal Grand Orchestra – Golden Sax (Local pressing, Regal), “Harlem Nocturne”
- Perez Prado & His Orchestra (Local pressing, JVC), “Mambo No. 5”
- Special EFX – Confidential (US, GRP), “Secret Storm (Part I)”
- RLJ – Flying Cowboys (US, Geffen), “The Horses”
- Paul McCartney – The Official Bootleg (Spain, MPL), “Ain’t No Sunshine”
- Rolling Stones – Stripped (UK, Virgin), “The Spider and the Fly”
- Georges Bizet: Carmen Marilyn Horne/James McCracken/Leonard Bernstein (3LP Box Set, Germany, DGG)
- Jose Carreras – Misa Criolla (Dutch, Philips), “Navidad en Verano”
- Franz Liszt – Hungarian Fantasia (Germany, DGG) Shura Cherkassky Piano/ Hungarian Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra
- Janos Starker – Bach Suites for unaccompanied cello compete (Germany, Speakers Corner), “Praeludium”
- Pinchas Zukerman/Midori – Bach – Vivaldi Double Concertos (Dutch, Philips)
- Herold-Lanchbery – La Fille Mal Gardee (UK, Decca)
- Rimsky Korsakov – Scheherazade (Dutch, Philips) Herman Krebbers, solo violin
- David Oistrakh – Beethoven Violin Concerto in D major (UK, EMI)
- Porcupine Tree – Coma Divine (Czech, Headspin), “Radioactive Toy”
- The Ray Brown Trio – Soular Energy (US, Concord Jazz), “Exactly like you”
- Aaron Neville – Warm Your Heart (UK, A&M) ‘Everybody plays the fool’
- Aaron Neville – 45rpm Promo single (US, A&M) “Everybody plays the fool”
- Gary Moore – The Loner (Test Record)
Note: All these LPs are from our personal collection. They’re Not-for-Sale.